Sunday, May 10, 2009

Creperie La Brehandaise


On a day when everyone and their uncle interrupted my reading to inform me that they too had read The Outliers, it was fitting that I visit Creperie La Brehandaise, which was featured in this week's NOW magazine, rag for the masses.
This was an unplanned stop on a walk along Queen Street East. Although still full from a stupendously great brunch at Saving Grace (open omelet with caramelized figs, brie, and ham), curiosity got the better of me.
The crepe itself was okay, paper thin and on the sweet side, which I like. On the whole, unremarkable and I could have stayed closer to home at Crepe It Up if wanted a crepe on its own. La Brehandaise's strength lies in its homemade chocolate sauce. There is a world of difference between real chocolate sauce and impostors. This was such good stuff, it was a shame most of it decorated the plate so I had to scrape it off the plate with what little dignity I have. The sauce was billed as coconut chocolate sauce. Maybe there was coconut extract in the sauce. I really couldn't tell. But the marriage of chocolate sauce and coconut shavings pleased me. I also like coconut shavings and dulce de leche - I detect a pattern here. Dab of strawberry jam was a nice, slightly acidic counter.
Ice cream was vanilla. If I liked vanilla ice cream, I think I would have appreciated the fact that they used real vanilla to flavour it. As it was, I felt compelled to eat it before it melted, which meant that my chocolate bouts were periodically interrupted by pesky vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment